Friday, April 3, 2015

Marching to School




Marching to School


Marching to school in vivacious manner,
Holding aloft the didactic banner,
I find myself preoccupied
With a dilemma that has me horrified.
 
Of paramount concern, you see,
Is my impending jeopardy
In the inherently cruel and hard
Exam on Sir Girard.
 
Though diligently the facts I glean,
Deploring his doleful mien,
I know my teacher accentuates
The details my brain eradicates.
 

For with an adeptness quite expected

My teacher, so respected,
Appraises my head’s grayish fluff
To be sure the test is hard enough.
 
With inveterate courage I pick up my pen,
To write about places and races and men;
The exercise I can’t disparage;
It gives me a great advantage!
 
The implicit function of all this testing,
Although infringing upon my resting,
Is that I might more magnanimous be,
Noble in mind and conscience-free!


December 16, 1997



No comments:

Post a Comment